The Law Office of
Jody Marten

Temporary Protected Status
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
Children's Citizenship Project
Citizenship for Children
Employment-Disability Law
Sports Law




3360 Tennyson Street, NW
Washington DC 20015-2443
Tel: (202) 537-0496
Fax: (202)
Cell: (202) 258-1643


Arrange a consultation


Children Citizenship Project

Attorney Jody Marten developed the Children's Citizenship Project to help parents of children adopted through from other countries with the U.S. citizenship process. The Project's goal is to ensure that eligible children become documented US citizens. Jody Marten works with a network of immigration and adoption attorneys committed to children's citizenship issues. The Project works with parents, schools and the USCIS to ensure that all children, eligible for certificates of citizenship, receive them. We also organize educational workshops; provide group processing and individual representation.

Why your child needs a certificate of citizenship?

The Certificate of Citizenship is the official documentation of citizenship in the United States. Many adopted children, who are eligible for certificates of citizenship as a result of the passage of the Child Citizenship Act of 2001, do not have certificates.

There are many advantages to obtaining the Certificate of Citizenship:

  • Your child can use the certificate for identification.
  • The certificate can be used when obtaining basic educational benefits
  • It can be used when applying for a social security number and a passport.
  • If the certificate gets lost, your child can readily secure a duplicate Certificate from USCIS.

Is my child eligible for the Certificate of Citizenship?
Under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (CCA), a child automatically will acquire U.S. citizenship on the date all of the following criteria and requirements are satisfied:
  • The child is under 18 years of age or was under 18 on February 27, 2001.
  • If the child was adopted, the adoption must be full and final.
  • One adoptive parent is a US citizen.
  • The child was admitted to the United States as an immigrant.
  • The child must be in the legal and physical custody of the United States citizen parent, or parents.
  • If the child was adopted through the two-year custody requirements of the Act, the time must be satisfied.

What will Attorney Marten do?

Attorney Jody Marten will send you a packet of materials including the list of documents that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires. In order for Attorney Marten to proceed, she must receive the materials including the Attorney Representation form, the payment for services and the fees for the USCIS. Prior to submitting the completed Form N-600 or Form N-400 to the USCIS, she will return it to you for review and signature. She will closely monitor the application to ensure timely processing.

What is the cost of the Services?

The basic cost for these services and expenses start at $500 to $750, plus a small administrative fee of $100. There is an additional fee of $500 to the USCIS sent with the submission of the Form N-600—Application for Certificate of Citizenship—for the cost of the Certificate of Citizenship.

The cost for young adults, ages eighteen and above, who need to file Form N-400, is $675 including the biometrics. There is an initial attorneys' fees beginning at $1000.

What if my child does not meet the requirements?

If the child does not meet the qualifications under the CCA, please contact the office for a consultation, so additional guidance can be provided.

For more information contact Jody Marten.